Re: What do Oracle, DB2, etc. actually *do*?

From: Chris Travers <chris(at)travelamericas(dot)com>
To: liamod(at)fast(dot)fujitsu(dot)com(dot)au
Cc: 'Christopher Browne' <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, 'PostgreSQL advocacy' <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: What do Oracle, DB2, etc. actually *do*?
Date: 2005-03-15 06:39:31
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Liam O'Duibhir wrote:

>Chris,
>
>While there may be limits to PostgreSQL's scalability, progress
>is definitely being made in this area. For example, Tom Lane's recent
>bufmgr locking overhaul should be a significant win on larger SMP systems.

I did not mean to suggest that these were permanent limitations. Indeed
PostgreSQL seems to be growing fast enough to more than keep up with the
growth of the users' databases!

In the end every feature, from multimaster replication to parallelized
queries will, I am sure, eventually be included in PostgreSQL. So this
was more a statement of the current situation than a statement regarding
all time.

>Also, if people do move to PostgreSQL and subsequently find that they're
>having problems with scalability, there are options other than migrating
>to an entirely new DBMS like Oracle/DB2/etc. If you'll pardon a shameless
>plug, Fujitsu Supported PostgreSQL includes a plug-in module, ESM, that
>should allow for significantly higher scalability (refer
>http://fastware.com.au/postgresql.html).

Of course. I was approaching this more from the angle of "if i were
using DB2, why might I not be able to migrate to PostgreSQL?" and "Where
might I be included to pay for Oracle?" rather than "What limitations
should I worry about in the future?" The last issue is a non-one.

PostgreSQL 8.0 is a big step forward for competing with Oracle. And I
am sure that we will take out another large chunk with the next release,
etc. And if PostgreSQL meets your needs today, I really don't see that
changing as your needs change.

I guess, maybe I wasn't specific enough.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting