Re: Possible to run the server with ANSI/ISO string escapeing

From: Ken Johanson <pg-user(at)kensystem(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Possible to run the server with ANSI/ISO string escapeing
Date: 2005-02-25 15:35:11
Lists: pgsql-general

<head>
</head>
Bruce Momjian wrote:
type="cite">
<pre wrap="">Ken Johanson wrote:
</pre>
<pre wrap="">Greetings,

Does anyone know if it will be possible to run the server with ANSI/ISO
string escaping instead of C-style escapes? The C style escaping is a
shoot-down for our adoption of postgres, since its non-standard.
</pre>
<pre wrap=""><!---->
Not yet, but we have a TODO item:

* Allow backslash handling in quoted strings to be disabled for
portability

The use of C-style backslashes (.e.g. \n, \r) in quoted strings is not
SQL-spec compliant, so allow such handling to be disabled.

Uh, what is ANSI/ISO escaping actually? I assume you mean only
supporting '' for literal quotes rather than \' too.

</pre>
Yes Sir. Being able to disable the backslash-escaping is the desired
operation. In circles of business deciding wether to move to opensource
databases this is the silently used excuse (by the critics) to dismiss
pg since its arguably so fundamental and somewhat dangerous (data
loss). Getting pg to behave 'normally' would silence this excuse.<br>
Is there anything I can do to help move this up the todo list?<br>
Thanks,<br>
ken<br>

Attachment Content-Type Size
unknown_filename text/html 1.5 KB