Re: enforcing a plan (in brief)

From: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)coretech(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Hicham G(dot) Elmongui" <elmongui(at)cs(dot)purdue(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: enforcing a plan (in brief)
Date: 2005-02-15 07:51:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Although this is all true, consider that adding hints will mean that the
Pg developers *never* get bug reports to drive the optimizer improvement
process. This will have the effect of stagnating its development. I
think this would be a bad thing :-)

As an aside note that DB2 UDB does not let you hint its optimizer
either...I have heard it argued (by a IBM acquaintance of mine) that
their optimizer is better than that other database's whose name begins
with O, precisely because of this (He is biased of coarse, but it is an
interesting point).

regards

Mark