Re: Connect By for 8.0

From: Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Connect By for 8.0
Date: 2005-02-06 17:07:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Neil Conway wrote:
> Robert Treat wrote:
>
>> Actually i believe people want both syntax's as the former is used by
>> oracle and the latter by db2 (iirc)
>

> I think the past consensus has been to adopt the SQL standard syntax. Is
> there any reason to also support the Oracle syntax other than for
> compatibility? (And if that is it, I think it's a pretty flimsy reason.)
>
> -Neil

Neil,

Compatibility is the ONLY reason and it is related to money (the only
language people understand).
We have done a lot of migration here and I can tell you that support for
Oracle style CONNECT BY would make more people happy than the SQL style
syntax.
The reason for that is very simple: Code can be migrated without any
changes (= without introducing potential bugs).
I know that SQL standards are tremendously important but if there is an
easy way to support Oracle syntax as well this is definitely the
preferred way to go.
I think it is important not to think in dogmas (in this case this means
SQL syntax is always better) - there should be a reasonable compromise
between compatibility and standard.
My compromise would be: Support both syntaxes if possible.

Best regards,

Hans

--
Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig
Schoengrabern 134, A-2020 Hollabrunn, Austria