Re: problem while converting sybase quries to postgres

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: imam <imam(at)effigent(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-sql <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: problem while converting sybase quries to postgres
Date: 2005-02-03 10:52:21
Lists: pgsql-sql

Please cc: the list when you reply to me - that way others can help too.

imam wrote:
>>If this is a left outer join, you could do something like:
>>SELECT
>>FROM
>> pe_pop_sr_posted_tran_head t1
>>LEFT JOIN
>> pe_pop_po_header t2
>>ON
>> t1.po_header_pk = t2.po_header_pk
>>LEFT JOIN
>> pe_pop_sr_posted_tran_det t3
>>ON
>> t2.po_header_pk = t3.po_header_pk
>> AND t1.sr_tran_head_pk = t3.sr_tran_head_pk
>>
>>But you'll want to test it because I'm not clear what your query is doing.
>>--
>> Richard Huxton
>> Archonet Ltd
>

> Thanking for you reply the problem is that i have a "or" condition and left
> outer join between two table.A po_header_table is comman in both the join as
> given below
> t1.PO_HEADER_PK *= t2.PO_HEADER_PK or t3.PO_HEADER_PK *=
>>>t2.PO_HEADER_PK)

Ah! Hadn't spotted that. Would this be what you're after?

SELECT ... FROM
(
SELECT
t1.po_header_pk AS t1_phpk
t3.po_header_pk AS t3_phpk
FROM
t1, t3
WHERE
t1.sr_tran_head_pk = t3.sr_tran_head_pk
)
AS first
LEFT JOIN
t2
ON (
first.t1_phpk = t2.po_header_pk
OR first.t3_phpk = t2.po_header_pk
)

Not sure what happens if t1_phpk and t3_phpk both match different rows
in t2 or whether that's what you want.
--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd