Re:

From: Dennis Sacks <dennis(at)illusions(dot)com>
To: Iain <iain(at)mst(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Matteo Braidotti <braidotti(at)aliceposta(dot)it>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re:
Date: 2005-02-01 17:00:30
Lists: pgsql-sql

Iain wrote:

> hi,
>
> I'm not familiar with iso2709 but there is a program called Octopus
> that may do what you want. It's open source software and can be found
> at octopus.enhydra.org - worth a try anyway.

ISO2709 is very similar to MARC records as used by libraries. Its most
likely not going to be a simple export.

In ISO2709 there can be variable columns per record, multiple values per
column. You should be able to find a document that describes ISO2709 -
and you could write a perl program to do the conversion. You'll need to
know what tags you should be using. If I recall, ISO2709 doesn't specify
the tags, only the format of the records, but its been a long time since
I've looked at it, so I could be wrong.

At one point I did the opposite (sort of) - I wrote a perl program to
parse ISO2709 files (on mag tapes) and converted them to delimited text
to be indexed & searched.

Dennis Sacks
dennis(at)illusions(dot)com