Re: Thoughts on the mirroring system etc

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Thoughts on the mirroring system etc
Date: 2005-01-21 03:13:32
Lists: pgsql-www

Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
<snip>
>>The major problem with wwwmaster is that we need multimaster
>>replication to handle it properly, without having a single point of
>>failure. Slony 1 will not resolve that basic issue.
>
> No, I beleive you can solve this. Let's assume we don't care if we can't
> add/remove news and events. AFAIK, then the database is almost only
> INSERTs right - answers to surveys, redirect logging etc?
> For this, create two tables, say "log1" and "log2". Where one of the
> servers each own one table, and only writes to that one. You set up two
> sets of slony replications, one in each direction. Then you create a
> view that is a UNION ALL of these, that's the one used when you read
> from the table.

This would work.

It would also allow for transient individual server failure(s) and keep
the "web presence" going strongly too. Given working with a small
number of independent servers (i.e. 5 or 6), this should also scale for
what we need too.

Good thinking Magnus. :)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

--
"One who sees the invisible can do the impossible."
+ Frank Gaines