Re: PostgreSQL 8.0.0 Release Candidate 4

From: Stuart Bishop <stuart(at)stuartbishop(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 8.0.0 Release Candidate 4
Date: 2005-01-16 06:30:11
Lists: pgsql-announce pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-ports

Tom Lane wrote:
> Stuart Bishop <stuart(at)stuartbishop(dot)net> writes:
>
>>Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>| A current list of *known* supported platforms can be found at:
>>| http://developer.postgresql.org/supported-platforms.html
>

>>I notice that Ubuntu is not yet on this list. I can confirm that
>>PostgreSQL 7.4.5 is supported under Ubuntu 4.10 (warty) on all platforms
>>(x86, amd64 and ppc) and that PostgreSQL 7.4.6 is supported under Ubuntu
>>5.4 (hoary) on all platforms. We are now in version freeze for hoary, so
>>that version is fixed and the 8 series won't be officially supported
>>until the following release (October 2005), although installing the
>>Debian packages should work just fine.
>

> You seem to be under a misconception about the purpose of that list.
> It has nothing to do with what Postgres releases are packaged by
> various distributions. Entries on the list mean that someone has
> verified that the *source code* distribution builds per instructions
> and passes regression tests on that platform.
>
> If you are trying to say that you personally have verified that for
> Ubuntu, you didn't phrase it clearly.

My bad.

I can personally confirm that 8.0rc5 builds cleanly and passes the
regression tests under Ubuntu i386 (using the current Ubuntu 5.04/hoary
development release, now in version freeze). I can't personally confirm
the other architectures or the Ubuntu 4.10/warty release (although the
results should be identical to Debian).

The install docs require some interpretation, as by default under Ubuntu
root's password is disabled and you need to use sudo for various steps.
I don't think this is a problem, as naive Ubuntu users will generally
be using the click'n'drool pacakge manager.

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart(dot)bishop(at)canonical(dot)com> http://www.canonical.com/
Canonical Ltd. http://www.ubuntulinux.com/