Re: What is this about?

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Lance Obermeyer <LObermey(at)pervasive(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What is this about?
Date: 2005-01-12 00:23:35
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Lance Obermeyer wrote:
> Snipped from Jonathan Schwartz's blog most recent blog entry (COO of sun).
>
> Another really interesting and growing community is the open source database community. There are some really interesting (and rapidly growing) open source databases out there. Not many folks talk about them, curiously. The most interesting to me are Red Hat's database <http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/database/>, known as Postgres, and MySQL <http://www.mysql.com>. For the most part, those products lead the open source database world. What makes Red Hat's database so interesting is that two of Red Hat's biggest backers are database companies, and the continuing evolution of the Red Hat database implies as Red Hat grows, so will the ubiquity of a free alternative to Oracle and IBM. Maybe we should challenge Red Hat to a scalability contest on Postgres. Hm. Hey Matthew, what do you think? Let's find a neutral benchmark. I'll wear a red hat if we lose. You can wear a Solaris t-shirt :) We might even provide the hardware.

It is the continued hate rhetoric from sun about redhat. I wouldn't
worry about it. If you are curious specifically about RedHat postgres
it is called RedHat Database and it is PostgreSQL based. However it is
kind of a bastard project.

> http://blogs.sun.com/jonathan

Command Prompt, Inc., your source for PostgreSQL replication,
professional support, programming, managed services, shared
and dedicated hosting. Home of the Open Source Projects plPHP,
plPerlNG, pgManage, and pgPHPtoolkit.
Contact us now at: +1-503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
jd.vcf text/x-vcard 640 bytes