Re: Very Bad Performance.

From: Pallav Kalva <pkalva(at)deg(dot)cc>
To: pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com
Cc: Postgres Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Very Bad Performance.
Date: 2005-01-04 14:38:04
Lists: pgsql-performance

Dave Cramer wrote:

> Well, it's not quite that simple
>
> the rule of thumb is 6-10% of available memory before postgres loads
> is allocated to shared_buffers.
> then effective cache is set to the SUM of shared_buffers + kernel buffers
>
> Then you have to look at individual slow queries to determine why they
> are slow, fortunately you are running 7.4 so you can set
> log_min_duration to some number like 1000ms and then
> try to analyze why those queries are slow.

I had that already set on my database , and when i look at the log
for all the problem queries, most of the queries are slow from one of
the table. when i look at the stats on that table they are really wrong,
not sure how to fix them. i run vacuumdb and analyze daily.

> Also hyperthreading may not be helping you..

does it do any harm to the system if it is hyperthreaded ?