Re: can't get the order I want after inserting new rows

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Marcus Claesson <m(dot)claesson(at)student(dot)ucc(dot)ie>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: can't get the order I want after inserting new rows
Date: 2004-12-17 12:37:05
Lists: pgsql-sql

Marcus Claesson wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have a problem with getting the order I want on a table after new rows
> have been inserted. I try to simplify it...:

> In other words, I have this old table:
> SELECT * from table ORDER BY full,part;
>
> name full part score
> ---- --- --- -----
> a 1 1 900
> a 1 2 500

> and I insert these rows into the same table:
> (there's nothing I can do about these 'full' values)
>
> d 1 1 1000
> d 1 2 400

> And after some manipulation (that I hope someone can help me with) I
> want the query above (SELECT * from table ORDER BY full,part) to give
> this:
>
> d 1 1 1000
> d 1 2 400
> a 2 1 900

Just looking at the start of your output, you are missing some rows
(a/1/1) and have replaced others (a/2/1 isn't in your data).

Are you trying to summarise, and if so by what?
Can you explain how you would do this by hand.
Could you provide the actual table definition?

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd