Re: port report: [FAILURE] FreeBSD 6, Intel icc7

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Darcy Buskermolen <darcy(at)wavefire(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: port report: [FAILURE] FreeBSD 6, Intel icc7
Date: 2004-12-16 21:30:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>Darcy Buskermolen <darcy(at)wavefire(dot)com> writes:
>

>>As per
>>http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=herring&dt=2004-12-16%2018:46:18
>>This combination of OS/compiler does not result in a working copy.
>>

>The failure is
> ascii_and_mic.so: Undefined symbol "pg_mic2ascii"
>
>I think you are in need of the local equivalent to GNU ld's -E or
>--export-dynamic switch, ie, make sure that all global symbols within
>the backend will be available to dynamically loaded libraries.
>
>BTW, how did you get configure to choose icc? If you used a CC
>environment variable, it seems like the buildfarm output is missing
>important information by not reporting it.

That log shows:

ccache icc -g -fpic -DPIC -I../../../src/interfaces/libpq -I../../../src/include -c -o regress.o regress.c
xild -x -shared -o regress.so regress.o

The status page also says this regarding the member:

FreeBSD 6-CURRENT Intel(tm) CC 7.1 Build 20040901Z ia32

I can highlight this and more info if required - just tell me what you want to know. I already have on my list your request for version numbers for changed files.

It's a bit of a balancing act between providing too much info and not enough.

To answer your question about how to choose it, you do it through the buildfarm member's config file - example (showing use of ccache) can be seen here:
http://cvs.pgfoundry.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/pgbuildfarm/client-code/build-farm.conf?rev=1.3&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

cheers

andrew