Re: WIN1252 encoding - backend or not?

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIN1252 encoding - backend or not?
Date: 2004-12-06 00:04:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

>Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>

>>Tom Lane wrote:
>>

>>>I think it would be reasonable to insist on
>>>at least one concurrence ("looks ok to me") posted to pgsql-patches
>>>before applying during late beta. We've gotten into a mode where
>>>if you like a patch you say nothing, but I wonder whether we shouldn't
>>>change that habit.
>>>

>>Amen, brother! That would never be tolerated in any commercial setting
>>that I am aware of, and should not be here either, IMNSHO. Silence does
>>not mean consent, it is far more likely to mean that nobody had time to
>>look it over.And if you commit it then surely you own it to some extent.
>>

>And your point is what? What suggestion for improvement do you have?
>Have perfect knowledge of what patches will be bad and don't apply them?
>
>You want me to claim ownership? Of what? Of applying the patch?
>Everyone already knows that. Of the patch being bad? Everyone already
>knows that too? What I shouldn't have applied it? Also known. But
>what good does that do us now?

Bruce,

I'm sorry if I offended you.

As for suggestions, elsewhere you wrote:

"Now, if I don't understand the patch, we can change the procedure so I
require someone to state it is OK rather than the fallback of quiet
acceptance, especially just before a beta or RC version."

Take that as my suggested improvement.

Keep up the good work as always - you know we are grateful for it.

cheers

andrew