Re: Get diagnistic (row_count) 7.3 vs. 7.4 changes

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: MLikharev(at)micropat(dot)com, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Get diagnistic (row_count) 7.3 vs. 7.4 changes
Date: 2004-12-02 09:34:37
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:
> Maksim Likharev <MLikharev(at)micropat(dot)com> writes:
>
>> in 7.3.3 GET DIAGNOSTICS was returning number of selected rows into
>> a temp table in 7.4.5 GET DIAGNOSTICS returns 0
>

> Hmm. I'm not sure if that's a bug or an improvement. The command
> did not return any rows to plpgsql, so in that sense row_count = 0 is
> correct, but I can see why you feel you've lost some capability.
>
> Anyone else have an opinion about this?

Well, from the manuals:
"The currently available status items are ROW_COUNT, the number of rows
processed by the last SQL command sent down to the SQL engine"

Nothing there about rows being returned.

And by analogy:
"A PERFORM statement sets FOUND true if it produces (and discards) a
row, false if no row is produced."

If you've FOUND rows then presumably ROW_COUNT should be non-zero. So
set it if rows aren't returned I'd opine.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd