Re: rc-1 problem with long text fields?

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Mike(dot)Blackwell(at)rrd(dot)com
Cc: "'pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: rc-1 problem with long text fields?
Date: 2004-11-19 16:07:58
Lists: pgadmin-support

Please dont mail privately, use the list!

Mike(dot)Blackwell(at)rrd(dot)com wrote:
> Ok.. after further investigation, it looks like it doesn't actually hang
> up. It just takes a _long_ time to format and display the view. The text
> fields are around 10k or so each. Not the usual size, granted, but
> perhaps there's a more graceful way to handle them. Truncation, maybe?

Very bad idea. If pgAdmin offers to edit the column at all, the field
content must be complete. Anything else would lead to many bad surprises.

pgAdmin isn't meant to be a perfect editing tool in any situation; 10k
is obviously beyond the inline editing capacities. Actually, I don't
know *any* general purpose tool for that.

Regards,
Andreas