Re: IN and ANY

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Cc: Dennis Bjorklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: IN and ANY
Date: 2004-03-02 21:54:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> But then we need to decide, what happens when we see:
> argL IN (argR1, argR2, ...)
> and argRn data type is an array of argL data type? Do we check all the
> argRn elements individually and return true if any of them equal argL?
> I'd guess so.

This seems like an awfully mistake-prone "feature", even if it's
theoretically not ambiguous. I think we should leave things as they
are. We'd not be adding any actual functionality, only some notational
consistency, and that doesn't seem worth the risk of confusion as to
exactly what IN will do.

[ wanders away trying to remember that quote about "foolish consistency" ]