Re: ODBC Driver stability

From: Gary Doades <gpd(at)gpdnet(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: md-postgres-donath(at)netapps(dot)de, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ODBC Driver stability
Date: 2004-11-11 18:39:31
Lists: pgsql-odbc

md-postgres-donath(at)netapps(dot)de wrote:
> The same application runs stable with oracle and mssql.
> I used iis crash dumps to find out that it was the odbc driver causing the
> problems and sent some of the odbc-logs to hiroshi (end of 2003).
> Maybe i'm using different features of the driver that cause problems.
> could you send me your odbc driver settings / connection string ?

I'm using ODBC from C# .NET, the only connection string settings I do
are UID,PWD,SERVER & DATABASE. I guess all the other settings are
whatever the defaults are. I do not set up a DSN, but use the
driver={PostgreSQL} directly in code.

Most of the calls that are made are connect/execute/fetch/disconnect.
Looking at the ODBC trace output this is most of the SQLxxx calls with a
load of SQLDescribe... liberally sprinked in there.

> I did not test or install the 8.x.x.x drivers.

I did, unfortunately. I don't think any of the code changes have broken
the 8 series driver, there aren't that many changes. I think it is
mainly in the way it is compiled that has introduced problems. More
likely uncovered problems that were already there, but never caught
anyone out.

Cheers,
Gary.