Re: R: R: slow seqscan after vacuum analize

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: R: R: slow seqscan after vacuum analize
Date: 2004-02-05 17:09:49
Lists: pgsql-admin

Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org> writes:
> Another factor worth considering: If a few values are very common in
> the field you are selecting on, then the query optimizer can get
> convinced (wrongly) that a Seq Scan is the best choice. Using ALTER
> TABLE T ALTER COLUMN C SET STATISTICS [some value] to increase the
> number of "bins" can be helpful in such cases. (My pet theory is that
> the present default value of 10 is a little low, and that a lot of
> optimizer errors might be resolved by bumping it up a bit...)

I also suspect that 10 is a lowball figure, but no one has done any work
to establish what might be a more reasonable default. Larger values
have real costs in both pg_statistic space and planner runtime, so I
don't want to push it up without some kind of evidence.

BTW, if you think a higher default might be appropriate, you can set it
in postgresql.conf instead of running around and manually ALTERing all
your tables.