Re: Avoiding explicit addDataType calls for PostGIS

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: Markus Schaber <schabios(at)logi-track(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Avoiding explicit addDataType calls for PostGIS
Date: 2004-11-08 09:23:37
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-jdbc

Kris Jurka wrote:

> Let me be more clear. I like the properties file method for configuring
> external libraries (postgis), but I don't like it for configuring the
> driver itself. Specifically consider your addition of prepareThreshold=5,
> suppose I wanted to override this setting with my own properties file.
> Then I'd have to be real careful about how I setup my classpath.

Ah, ok.

Currently, if someone wants to change a default, they have to either
modify the driver source and recompile, or remember to override the
built-in default in every single URL ever used.

If the default is stored in a properties file packaged with the driver,
they can tweak the default by editing that properties file, which seems
much easier.

I agree that trying to manage multiple properties files that override
each other is confusing, because it's so dependent on what the
classloader decides to do. So don't do that!

-O