Re: Latin vs non-Latin words in text search parsing

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)seespotcode(dot)net>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Latin vs non-Latin words in text search parsing
Date: 2007-10-23 21:58:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)seespotcode(dot)net> writes:
>> Tom Lane wrote:
>>> asciiword
>>> word
>>> numword

> No huge preference, but I see benefit in what Gregory was saying re:
> asciiword, alphaword, alnumword. word itself is pretty general, while
> alphaword ties it much closer to its intended meaning. They've got
> pretty consistent lengths as well. Maybe it leans too Hungarian.

I stuck with the previous proposal, mainly because I was already pretty
well into making the edits by the time I saw your message. But I think
that with this definition "word" matches pretty well with everyone's
understanding of that, and the other two are supersets and subsets that
might have specific uses.