pg_ctl strangeness under msys

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers-win32 <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_ctl strangeness under msys
Date: 2004-10-19 16:44:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

I have seen some strange things using pg_ctl under MSys:

. "pg_ctl status" from the command line logs to the event log.
Apparently it thinks it's not on a tty. Works fine from Windows cmd prompt.
. this hangs: perl -e '@foo=`pg_ctl -w start`;'
but this doesn't: perl -e 'system("pg_ctl -w start");'

Finding the problem with the last one has cost me hours in trying to get
the buildfarm to run.

Anyone have ideas about ways to fix? Or do we just note it and live with it?

cheers

andrew