Re: database constraints

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Subject: Re: database constraints
Date: 2004-10-06 18:23:48
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

> This brings up an interesting idea. What if it were possible to set
> some kind of rules on DDL at database creation time? For example, I'd
> like to be able to throw an error if somebody tries to name an object
> any of the SQL keywords.
>
> Other possible rules:
>
> * Every table must have a comment
> * noCamelCaps
> * downcase all entities
> * underbar_separators_required
> * abbrev_w_beg, nt_by_rmvng_vwls
> * Your favorite algorithmic coding standard here

Hmmm.. like a PostgreSQL syntax mode... in the PostgreSQL.conf:

syntax_mode = lazy, standard, strict

Where lazy is the current , standard would throw exceptions if you try
to use a reserved word or use uppercase, and strict would do things like
force a comment.

Ooooh... Bastard Operator From Hell here we come.

Sincerely,

From a managerial perspective I like it... Just like you have to be
explicit when using cvs or subversion to NOT comment.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> What do y'all think?
>
> Cheers,