Status ofTrigger Firing Order and 'FOR EACH STATEMENT'?

From: Dan Libby <dan(at)libby(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Status ofTrigger Firing Order and 'FOR EACH STATEMENT'?
Date: 2004-10-03 20:30:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi, I am running into a problem with changes in INSERT not showing up in
outer level triggers (that call the INSERT, which has its own trigger).
I found two archived messages that discuss the exact issue (with AFTER
triggers). I am using pgsql 7.4.5. Given that its been ~4 years since
the messages below were exchanged, I am wondering if there has been a
fix or workaround created, or if there is any on the horizon? Messages:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2000-11/msg00954.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2000-11/msg00981.php

Another thing that would really help performance is NEWSET and OLDSET in
'FOR EACH STATEMENT' triggers. Without this, the FOR EACH STATEMENT
triggers do not meet my needs and it is necessary to do lots of
duplicate work using FOR EACH ROW. Has there been any work in this
area? Thread:

http://dbforums.com/t579529.html

I did not see either of these issues on the TODO list. I am not
familiar with pgsql internals, but I would be willing to work on them if
a) the scope of required changes is deemed to be small and b) someone
can point me in the right direction.

regards,

Dan Libby