Re: Issues regarding code license of ported code.

From: "Francisco Figueiredo Jr(dot)" <fxjrlists(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)br>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Issues regarding code license of ported code.
Date: 2004-09-18 16:24:00
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Richard Welty wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 11:30:45 -0300 "Francisco Figueiredo Jr." <fxjrlists(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)br> wrote:
>
>>Some time ago I received a patch to Npgsql to add support for large
>>objects. The patch was mainly a port of the large object support code of
>>jdbc.
>

>>I'd like to know how I could integrate this code as Npgsql is licensed
>>under LGPL.
>

>>I mean, can the ported code be licensed under LGPL and keeping a note
>>about being derivative work of your BSD code? Or can I just mix the two
>>licenses? Or something else?
>

> i would say that as the author and copyright holder of the code, you
> can license it however you want. you are not obligated to release it
> under only one license, you can, for example, provide a copy of the
> same code under the BSD license if you so desire.
>
> if someone else wrote the code, and holds the copyright, you can
> take it up with them.
>
> if there are dozens of authors, it gets harder. but it's important to remember
> that the BSD license and the GPL/LGPL licenses are _licenses_,
> supplements to copyright, and the copyright holder has the power to make
> the choice about the license.
>
> richard

Hi Richard,

Thanks for reply.

This is the header of the LargeObject.java I have from 7.4.3:

/*-------------------------------------------------------------------------
*
* LargeObject.java
* This class implements the large object interface to org.postgresql.
*
* Copyright (c) 2003, PostgreSQL Global Development Group
*
* IDENTIFICATION
* $Header:
/cvsroot/pgsql-server/src/interfaces/jdbc/org/postgresql/largeobject/Attic/LargeObject.java,v
1.10 2003/03/07 18:39:45 barry Exp $
*
*-------------------------------------------------------------------------
*/

So, the copyright is not from a single person which means I can't
contact the person who did it. There is no sign of who is the author too.

Do you know who may be the author?

Also, do you know what would be other care I should take when
integrating the code? I mean, do I have to distribute the BSD license?
Do I have to add a note about the use of BSD derivative work?

I read the BSD license and I could see it is very simple and easy to
use, but I just want to be sure if I'm not missing anything.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Francisco Figueiredo Jr.