Re: Is "query" a reserved word in 8.3 plpgsql?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Todd A(dot) Cook" <tcook(at)blackducksoftware(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is "query" a reserved word in 8.3 plpgsql?
Date: 2007-11-09 23:14:16
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

"Todd A. Cook" <tcook(at)blackducksoftware(dot)com> writes:
> I saw the item in the release notes about the new "return query"
> syntax in pl/pgsql, but I didn't see any note about "query" being
> reserved now. Perhaps an explicit mention should be added?

Yeah, I got burnt by that too. I have a bad feeling that that keyword
is going to cause trouble for a lot of people.

[ thinks for a bit... ] It might be possible to get rid of the keyword
and have RETURN QUERY be recognized by an ad-hoc strcmp test, much like
the various direction keywords in FETCH have been handled without making
them real keywords. It'd be a bit uglier but it'd avoid making QUERY
be effectively a reserved word.