Re: jdbc and large binary files

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: Warren Little <wlittle(at)securitylending(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: jdbc and large binary files
Date: 2004-08-28 23:53:03
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Warren Little wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm currently using the LO api with the oid data type for storing
> large objects. I would like to switch to bytea data. When I last
> tested this idea (over 8 months ago) I experienced massive memory bloat
> in the JDBC application. I recall seeing some threads on fixing this
> problem. Can anyone tell me if this issue has been addressed in the
> latest driver?

PreparedStatement.setBinaryStream() will now stream data directly to the
server with no additional heap storage needed. setBytes() takes a copy
of the bytearray it is given, but otherwise behaves like setBinaryStream().

ResultSet still stores the whole value on heap. To avoid this requires
protocol modifications.

-O