Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server: Rearrange pg_subtrans handling

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server: Rearrange pg_subtrans handling
Date: 2004-08-25 11:29:57
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On 8/25/2004 1:32 AM, Greg Stark wrote:

> A dirty read is a read that includes data that hasn't been committed yet. Or
> as the SQL 92 standard puts it:

[...]

> It could also be useful for referential integrity checks since, for example,
> it would let you see if someone has deleted the referenced record but not
> committed the delete yet.
>
> But that alone wouldn't let you avoid locking the record, TODO items are
> mostly just pointers to old threads on the mailing lists. They don't contain
> the complete story. You could maybe find more information searching the
> pgsql-hackers archive on the web site.

Plus ... wouldn't doing the "on delete" lookup as dirty reads let
referencing rows that have been deleted but still could come back
through a rollback disappear? What you want to see are new tuples of
uncommitted insert/update as well as old tuples of uncommitted
delete/update. I don't think there is any term in the standard for that
read mode, so we should call it dusty-reads because they see everything
vacuum is interested in.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #