Re: Is this legal SQL? Is it a good practice?

From: Carlos Moreno <moreno(at)mochima(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is this legal SQL? Is it a good practice?
Date: 2004-08-24 22:41:21
Lists: pgsql-general
Bill Harper wrote:

>> But I'm wondering -- is this a PostgreSQL extension,
>> or is it "legal SQL"?
>
> This is a reasonably standard result from an "exec" or "execute" call,
> but I am not an SQL expert.  How else could the psql command
> line utility process command files?

Well, notice that the keyword in here would be
"utility" -- psql is a program that interacts with
the user, and as such, it can do any processing and
add any logic it wants.

I always thought the semicolon was a psql thing,
which it would use to determine when the user is
done entering the SQL statement.  For libpq or other
client libraries, the way I saw it, it is the end
of the received string what would allow the backend
to figure out where the SQL statement ends.

Thanks,

Carlos