Re: Unsupported 3rd-party solutions (Was: Few questions

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Thomas Hallgren <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unsupported 3rd-party solutions (Was: Few questions
Date: 2004-08-24 18:37:55
Lists: pgsql-general

On 8/24/2004 12:02 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com> writes:
>> How many of us really have the skillset to make an educated decision about
>> the exact implementation of PITR features, the best strategy for buffer
>> replacement, how to start/stop/throttle background writing of dirty
>> buffers or why and when xid's should get frozen or not?
>
> It's not necessary that we all do; it's only necessary that some of us
> (preferably more than one, but at least one) know enough to make
> reasonable choices on any one point.
>
>> Now what is exactly the difference between those "core" feature
>> decisions and the "auxiliary" or "3rd party" things?
>
> The fact that there isn't *anyone* stepping up to do that investigation
> or make those decisions. If someone steps up to the plate, I'll be glad
> to give all the moral support we can. In the absence of someone
> actually volunteering to do the work, this whole discussion is
> pointless.

That wasn't what I was talking about. We don't need someone to take
another management position. We need to develop the ability to ask our
-general and -hackers communities "what are the top 2 products of
category foo in your opinion", take that without any in depth code
review and sophisticated investigation and promote it.

I want to get rid of the recommendations-vacuum. I don't care if we
don't pick the ultimately best of everything that way. If there is a
consensus of people who use these things, repeating their recommendation
will seldom be bad advice. Those people have proven already that they
can make good decisions, they do use PostgreSQL after all :-)

All we need to do is ask them.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #