Re: UTF-8 and LIKE vs =

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: David Wheeler <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
Cc: barwick(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org,Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>, twanger(at)bluetwanger(dot)de
Subject: Re: UTF-8 and LIKE vs =
Date: 2004-08-24 18:29:25
Lists: pgsql-general
David Wheeler wrote:
> I disagree. IME, it is seldom the locale the user prefers, and nearly
> always the locale set by the OS vendor.

Not in my experience.  The OS does not pick the locale out of the blue.
If your vendor does not respect your preferences, choose a new vendor.

Going back to no locale is not going to happen.  We want to offer
correct and rich semantics to our users, not cripple the system for
some people who cannot configure their operation system correctly.

--
Peter Eisentraut