Re: Unsupported 3rd-party solutions (Was: Few questions

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Thomas Hallgren <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>,pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unsupported 3rd-party solutions (Was: Few questions
Date: 2004-08-24 03:34:35
Lists: pgsql-general
Is this one more incarnation of the packaging, release-announce and what
has to be CORE or not discussions?

Well, the fact that the discussion is going on and on does indicate that
the project "management" doesn't do a good job here. We have repeatedly
stated that the core project doesn't have the time, resources or
whatever to evaluate all those auxilliary projects and therefore we
can't put together a list of recommendations. I think this true ... in part.

The true part is that the core project (not the CORE team alone) does
not have the resources to review or evaluate all this. We probably don't
even have the skillset to make any educated guesses about it. But I
would say this is true about every project I ever have been a member of
or every job I have been in.

Probably one of the outstanding abilities of the best managers I have
ever worked for is "management by deligation". This does not mean to
deligate work, but to deligate decisions. And then to go with that
decision, accept it and to defend it.

Just because we don't have the skillset ourselves cannot mean that we
leave the PostgreSQL user community in a decision vacuum. I don't think
anyone really likes to be responsible for decisions he didn't make. But
I guess that is what we have to do because our continuous "we don't
know, it's your choice, pick your own poison" is just not what anyone
wants to hear. And interestingly it is what most of us do anyway. How
many of us really have the skillset to make an educated decision about
the exact implementation of PITR features, the best strategy for buffer
replacement, how to start/stop/throttle background writing of dirty
buffers or why and when xid's should get frozen or not? Honestly, I do
not know the answers to most of the questions that have to be decided
inside of the core server these days either because I don't have the
skillset or because I didn't have the time to figure it all out myself.
Does that mean that I will not have to defend the way we do savepoints
tomorrow? Nope, I will have to live with it and carry that decision to
shows and events and everywhere as if it was my own one.

Now what is exactly the difference between those "core" feature
decisions and the "auxiliary" or "3rd party" things? The fact that their
code isn't part of our tarball is only an excuse for not making any
recommendations. I don't care what type of admin tool the PostgreSQL
community suggests for package maintainers to include in every standard
installation of our database. I don't use any of them myself. But every
single of them is certainly a lot better that our repeated *shrug*.

If we need user- or community votings on this, then lets do them. Let us
stop telling people that nothing is good enough to be recommended by the
PostgreSQL team. It is not true. There are a lot of things and add on
products out there that are. And if 70% of our users vote for "C", then
putting that onto a recommenation list is certainly not the worst.

Jan