Re: UTF-8 and LIKE vs =

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Wheeler <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
Cc: Ian Barwick <barwick(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UTF-8 and LIKE vs =
Date: 2004-08-24 02:47:28
Lists: pgsql-general
David Wheeler <david(at)kineticode(dot)com> writes:
>>> Hmm.  I tried putting your string into a UNICODE database and I got
>>> ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding "UNICODE": 0xc7
>>
>> Really? Curious.

> Oh, are you sure that you got my UTF-8 data? Because it came back in
> your reply all mangled.

I deliberately left it half-MIME-ified so that the hex byte values would
be visible.  One of the variables we have not controlled for is whether
what you posted is the same as what other people received --- Tim
Allen's point about the claimed encoding of the message is very relevant
here.  Lots of mail software will try to translate encodings.