Re: Unsupported 3rd-party solutions (Was: Few questions

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Thomas Hallgren <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unsupported 3rd-party solutions (Was: Few questions
Date: 2004-08-23 20:27:34
Lists: pgsql-general

> A committee with unbiased people, or with members from all camps, would
> be a much more likely group to come up with good recommendations.
> Especially if they, after some discussions concerning solutions,
> implementations, etc. ended up with two or more similar products
> suitable for slightly different purposes.

1. committe == slow release
2. There is no such thing as an Unbiased person
3. Good recommendations are always reviewed within the current paradigm
of communication, look at this thread.

The more people you add to a particular process with the ability to
express their opinion, will only add to the complexity and slowness of
ANY particular project.

There is a reason CORE is small. Because it is efficient.

Although, I do believe there should be sub-core groups:

1. Core -- Main database backend -- central approval/rejection
    a. plCore -- controls the release/distribution/testing etc.. of the
pl languages
    b. contribCore -- products that make it into contrib

This would probably greatly reduce the load on core as a whole and allow
them to focus on the main server itself.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake