Re: Unsupported 3rd-party solutions (Was: Few questions

From: Thomas Hallgren <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unsupported 3rd-party solutions (Was: Few questions
Date: 2004-08-22 22:02:02
Lists: pgsql-general
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Have you seen the discussion about the MONEY type on the hackers list
>
>today?  We don't even have the manpower to _remove_ or _adjust_ an
>existing data type that we know has been broken for perhaps +3 years.
>How are we going to find time to do more about integrating and
>supporting more software?
>
>Answer me that and we can move forward.

I see PostgreSQL taking a major leap forward with 8.0. You will
undoubtedly appeal to a much larger market. That in turn will increase
the pressure. You are getting increasingly popular and somehow you must
see to that this popularity is reflected in the amount of sponsoring
that you receive. If you don't, you will face even bigger resource
problems in the future.

A good way to appeal to sponsors is to extend what you do today to
include more features so what I'm suggesting would probably be a good
thing in that respect.

Perhaps I'm a bit to visionary. But I really think you (the core
commitee) need to consider this.

Regards,

Thomas Hallgren

pgsql-general by date

Subject: Re: Unsupported 3rd-party solutions (Was: Few questions on
Previous:From: Jim WilsonDate: 2004-08-22 22:01:02
Subject: Re: How to setup default value "0000-00-00" for "date"