Re: hot spare / log shipping work on

From: Manfred Spraul <manfred(at)colorfullife(dot)com>
To: Gaetano Mendola <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: hot spare / log shipping work on
Date: 2004-08-13 17:20:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Gaetano Mendola wrote:

> a1) If exist check that is a 16MB file ( the request can
> ~ arrive during the copy ),

I think this will fail under windows: "copy" first sets the file size
and then transfers the data. I wouldn't rule out that some Unices use
the same implementation.

> ~ a2) If the file not exist this mean that is not yet
> recycled and
> ~ is a partial file present on the partial directory,
> ~ check if the "alive" file is older then 2 minutes.
> ~ a21) If the file is older than 2 minutes I assume
> that
> ~ the master is dead:

I'd concentrate on cold failover: the user (or the OS) must call a
script to cause a fail-over. The tricky thing are the various partial
connection losses between master and spare: perhaps the alive file is
not updated anymore due to a net split, but the master is still alive.
Unless you are really careful both master and spare could run.

I think SAP DB / MaxDB supports failover - perhaps it would be
interesting to check their failover scripts.

--
Manfred