Re: I/O error

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: Antonini Roberto <Roberto(dot)Antonini(at)TILAB(dot)COM>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: I/O error
Date: 2004-08-13 11:37:57
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Antonini Roberto wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Someone could explain to me the meaning of this exception:
>

> *An I/O error occured while reading from backend - Exception:
> java.net.SocketException: Connection reset*
>
> when I try to invoke DB function to remote DB.
>
> could it be a driver trouble?

The driver is reporting a TCP/IP-level communication error.

The usual cause is a stateful firewall betweeen the JDBC client and the
server. A connection that stays idle for a long time may be considered
dead and dropped by the firewall, and you will see a "connection reset"
error when it is eventually reused.

-O