Re: Strange pg_hba.conf error (repost)

From: Arthur van Dorp <arthur_vd(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Karam Chand <karam_chand03(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Strange pg_hba.conf error (repost)
Date: 2004-08-12 20:31:47
Lists: pgsql-general

> The postgresql book by wrox tells us to create a user
> postgres using "useradd" command but when I look into
> User & groups using RH9.1 configuration tool I dont
> see any such users but the corresponding "useradd
> postgres" fails. Little confusing...damn my
> intelligence...

Have a look at the file /etc/passwd. It lists all the users on the
system (if you use the standard authentication method and not some
network stuff like NFS or the like). "man 5 passwd" should explain the
file format for you. RHs configuration tool probably doesn't tell you
about all users but only about those in the group of "living people"
(usually "users"). Look for a config option like "Show all users" or
"Show system users".
Have fun!

Yours
Arthur