Re: UPDATE with JDBC fail

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: Jose(dot)Silva(at)isotrol(dot)com, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UPDATE with JDBC fail
Date: 2004-08-05 22:49:52
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Kris Jurka wrote:

> I only run specific tests against old versions when modifying something in
> that area because the regression tests haven't run successfully
> against 7.1 in the time I've been working on the driver. If we know the
> driver doesn't work against old server versions we should refuse to
> connect or issue some kind of error message. Are there things other than
> transaction isolation you'd like me to test against 7.0 or 7.1?

Transaction isolation was the only thing that springs to mind (when I
rearranged the protocol code, the per-transaction setting of isolation
level for older servers got thrown out), but there may well be other stuff.

I think we should either fix the regression tests to work against
7.0/7.1, or drop support for those versions entirely and refuse to
connect. I know which is easier :)

-O