Re: [BUGS] casting strings to multidimensional arrays yields strange

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>, "Patches (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [BUGS] casting strings to multidimensional arrays yields strange
Date: 2004-08-05 06:01:06
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:
> Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com> writes:
>>While looking at it the last day or so, I started to think it might be
>>better to use bison to parse array literals -- or is that a bad idea?
>
> Offhand it doesn't seem like a super-appropriate tool. Once you get
> past the lexical details like quoting, the syntax of array literals
> is not complicated enough to need a bison parser. Also, the issues
> you're facing now like enforcing consistent dimensions are not amenable
> to solution by a context-free grammar --- so you'd still need most of
> the dimension-checking mechanisms.

I'm hesitant to apply the attached this late before the beta without
review, but it seems to take care of the pathological cases I came up
with, doesn't break anything AFAICS, and passes all regression tests. I
guess it can go into beta 2.

Joe

Attachment Content-Type Size
array-fixes-state.1.patch text/x-patch 5.4 KB