dumping large object comments

From: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: dumping large object comments
Date: 2004-08-02 02:17:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I just remembered that although we now have COMMENT ON LARGE OBJECT
<oid>, we haven't changed pg_dump to dump and restore these comments.

I went ahead and did this, but then realised that I cannot just dump the
comments normally as the oid the lob is assigned when it's restored is
not necessarily going to be the same as it was before.

So, somehow I guess we have to store the comments in some way that when
the lob is imported, and we get its oid (i assume lo_import returns it)
we insert the comment then. It seems that this would require
complicated changes to the way lobs and their comments are stored.

Any other ideas?

Chris