Re: Release planning (was: Re: Status report)

From: Justin Clift <jc(at)telstra(dot)net>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Release planning (was: Re: Status report)
Date: 2004-07-14 02:32:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
<snip>
> As Jan points out, its the 'small features that are done' that we've
> been griping about having to wait for, not the big ones which we know
> aren't done ...
<snip>

Hmmm... so we do things slightly differently than previously...

This upcoming version could be PG version 8.0,
We continue with bugfixes on 7.4.x,
That still leaves 7.5.x, 7.6.x (etc if needed), for releasing new
versions of PG without the "big features".

Kind of like an in-between thing, whilst waiting for the major features
in the major releases?

That would mean we'd have:

Version 8.0 as our next main release,
Version 9.0 being the version after that with the next "big features" in it.
Version 8.x being version 8 plus smaller features, prior to 9.0
Version 8.x.x being version 8.x plus bug fixes.

Sounds like it could get hairy if we're not careful, but I reckon the PG
Community is mature enough to make the right calls where needed.

:)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift