Re: Release planning (was: Re: Status report)

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Release planning (was: Re: Status report)
Date: 2004-07-13 21:12:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Note that I'm all for a long (2 year? or even 'indefinite') development
cycle for a major release if we continue on with what has been happening
more often lately, where stuff is back patched to the last stable release
... there is alot of stuff that doesn't require a reload of the database
(or initdb) that could very easily be backpatched ...

As Jan points out, its the 'small features that are done' that we've been
griping about having to wait for, not the big ones which we know aren't
done ...

The nice thing about doing something lke that is those small features
would get a degree of testing happening in a live environment ...

----