Re: Performance

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: LuisH <luish(at)lh(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance
Date: 2004-06-24 06:59:46
Lists: pgsql-general

LuisH wrote:
> Question about Performance:
>
> What about access sounds (WAV or VOX) from filesystem or from Blob
> Database ????????????
> Whish performance can I expect on each case ??

Filesystem access should always be faster than through the database. If
it isn't you should get a new filesystem.

You need to ask yourself:
1. Do I want transactional control over updates to these sounds?
2. Do I always want to store the files on the same machine as the database?
3. Is it easier/more difficult to read/download files vs access via the
database connection.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd