Re: clusters and database instances

From: "Scott Marlowe" <smarlowe(at)qwest(dot)net>
To: "Dennis Gearon" <gearond(at)fireserve(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: clusters and database instances
Date: 2004-06-24 06:41:25
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 2004-06-23 at 23:15, Dennis Gearon wrote:
> Have I read correctly, a database instance can only work with one cluster(directory)?

Yes, and no.

A database instance is in one cluster, but that cluster can span more
than one mount point or directory through the use of locations in
versions <7.5 and table spaces as of 7.5

Also, putting the transactions logs on another mount point is pretty
easy too, and quite common for high transaction load databases.