Re: 7.5-dev, pg_dumpall, dollarquoting

From: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.5-dev, pg_dumpall, dollarquoting
Date: 2004-06-23 07:16:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Stefan,

> since we have a lot of databases here that suffer from pg_dump's
> deficits in 7.3 and 7.4 regarding dependencies, we tried pg_dump from
> the upcoming 7.5 release.

Would you be able to specify exactly the deficiences? It's my mission
at the moment to make pg_dump 7.5 known-issue free :)

> This version works much better, but it is not possible to dump a
> complete cluster using pg_dumpall in a 7.3 or 7.4 compatible way because
> pg_dumpall lacks the "-X disable-dollar-quoting" switch.
> Would it be possible to modify pg_dumpall to accept the same commands as
> pg_dump (at least those that make sense) - or am I missing something here ?

I can add it - do the other hackers want it?

The main problem stefan is that 7.5 dump is seriously only guaranteed to
restore to 7.5. You can use the 7.5 dump to upgrade to 7.5, but not to
restore to 7.4.

At the moment, dollar quoting is your main problem, but there's also the
set default_with_oids stuff, plus I'm also hopefully soon going to fix
the dumping owners issue, which will most likely make pg_dump 7.5 less
likely to restore to 7.4...

Chris