Re: Index oddity

From: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)coretech(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>
Cc: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, ken <southerland(at)samsixedd(dot)com>, Postgresql Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Index oddity
Date: 2004-06-10 03:08:49
Lists: pgsql-performance

Rod Taylor wrote:

>The big problem is a very poor estimate (off by a couple orders of
>magnitude). I was hoping someone with more knowledge in fixing those
>would jump in.

ANALYZE might be producing poor stats due to :

i) many dead tuples or
ii) high proportion of dead tuples in the first few pages of the table

Does a VACUUM FULL followed by ANALYZE change the estimates (or have you
tried this already)?

(p.s. - I probably don't qualify for the 'more knowledge' bit either...)

regards

Mark