Re: Database variables when copying a database

From: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Database variables when copying a database
Date: 2004-05-22 18:14:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> It seems to me that we shouldn't copy them, but I'm having a hard time
> putting a finger on why exactly. I guess it goes along with the fact
> that we don't copy the database's owner, and any per-database variable
> settings seem to me to be the database owner's decision to make.

Good points. The reason I ran into this is because I basically did use
it as a copy database command to make a development copy of an in-use
database for a developer to mess with. However, somethings turned out
to be broken as it had lost the custom search_path we had set on the
database that made stuff work.

It occurred to me that it was probably somethign that had not been
thought of when db variables were invented, rather than somethign
deliberately avoided.

Chris