tuning for AIX 5L with large memory

From: Dan Harris <fbsd(at)drivefaster(dot)net>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: tuning for AIX 5L with large memory
Date: 2004-05-21 23:23:36
Lists: pgsql-patches pgsql-performance

I will soon have at my disposal a new IBM pSeries server. The main
mission for this box will be to serve several pg databases. I have
ordered 8GB of RAM and want to learn the best way to tune pg and AIX for
this configuration. Specifically, I am curious about shared memory
limitations. I've had to tune the shmmax on linux machines before but
I'm new to AIX and not sure if this is even required on that platform?
Google has not been much help for specifics here.

Hoping someone else here has a similar platform and can offer some advice..

Thanks!

-Dan Harris