Re: Relocatable installs

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Relocatable installs
Date: 2004-05-18 18:36:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greg Stark wrote:
> Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com> writes:
>
>> You know how much trouble that causes? The existance of LD_LIBRARY_PATH in your
>> environment disables setuid() for security reasons on some platforms. So one
>> would have to wrap every PG related program into equally named shell scripts or
>> aliases to just set it for the program call alone.
>
> Why would any pg tools need to be setuid?

That's got nothing to do with what I said. Setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH will
possibly affect everything else that needs setuid.

> But it's just wrong to have a binary that doesn't run unless you have
> environment variables set up.
>
>> Relocatable installation means static linking of our tools against our own
>> libs. This does not mean static linking entirely, but at least static linking
>> against libpq.a.
>
> The normal approach is to use rpath for relocatable installs.
> That's what it's there for.
> Static linking would work too but it's overkill.

I don't mean complete static linking. But what's wrong with linking psql
and other PostgreSQL utilities against libpq.a instead of libpq.so?

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #