Re: Relocatable installs

From: Shachar Shemesh <psql(at)shemesh(dot)biz>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: marcs(at)znep(dot)com, pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Relocatable installs
Date: 2004-05-09 09:20:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dave Page wrote:

>Anyway, the point is that to do that you need to write to
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\<Appname>
>(off the top of my head) otherwise, the messages logged in the event log
>are pretty unreadable. Service installation will also require admin
>privileges.
>Regards, Dave

I don't think that's a problem at all:
1. Believe it or not, you can write to HKEY_CURRENT_USER even if you are
an admin! New and improved..... In fact, if you don't mind messing with
the "load hive" interfaces, you can even write to someone else's HKCU if
you are admin. It makes installs more complicated, but see 2 for why
this will not be necessary.
2. Original suggestion talked about looking up at HKCU, and then (if not
found) at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
3. I doubt the same machine will require BOTH service and per-user
installation

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh